Friday

Flirting With Disaster

So there’s this guy at work. A slightly older guy, but HOT nonetheless. He has this shaggy 70’s look to him that is just delicious (despite the fact that I have never been attracted to anyone that looks like the 70’s spewed them out so far they landed three decades later wondering what the hell). He doesn’t actually work at my company, but rather another company in the building. And naturally I see him when I go out for a smoke break; he doesn’t actually smoke but I tend to find him out there relaxing and getting away from the desk for awhile, as we all have opted to do on occasion (read: hourly).

 Yesterday I went outside as I usually find myself doing on the hour and he wasn’t too far behind. He sprawled out on a bench and started in on small talk. Somehow though, the conversation sort of went astray and I’m still twisting it around in my head trying to figure out how. Without going into the actual dialogue, it went something like this:

Me: comment on the weather. Him: comment back about it being stormy (although it wasn’t) and a mumbled comment about stormy sex. (Yeah, eh?) Me: Said hi to someone walking in, turned back and made a follow up comment about the beautiful weather. Him: Did you say you wanted to get a drink? Me: Um, no (repeat weather comment) but if you’re making drinks one sure sounds good right about now.

That was pretty much it. Awkward. Here’s the deal with this little situation… I have a boyfriend, one with whom I happen to adore. Granted, our sex life has kinda died off a little bit (nothing that can’t be worked on and given my crazy schedule lately it’s not too surprising). I LOVE having some quality eye candy to steal glances at throughout my day, particularly since it’s slightly more motivating to get my ass up and actually do my hair and makeup in the mornings (that fact has not changed since high school!) but I don’t want to deal with anything beyond that. Worst-case scenario, light harmless flirting. After all, there’s nothing wrong with looking and I know damn well my boyfriend does it (so why can’t I? Fair’s fair biotch!) But this was flirting with disaster, if in fact I read into it correctly.

So far today, I haven’t had any interactions with sudo-70’s hottie from work. However, the boundaries have been drawn and I think I’ll need be cautious. Apparently even when discussing the weather. 

3 comments:

P said...

Haha, I sooo know what you mean when you say it's more of a motivation to get up and make an effort in the morning if you have something nice to look at when you get to work. That is so true!

Bipolar Brit! said...

Holy smokes we're even more alike than I thought!! I have a near-identical (but way more ahem, 'developed' ) situation going on myself with a beautiful emo boy. God-darn that guyliner *sighs*

The Not-So-Eligible Bachelor said...

So THAT's why all the chicks at my office started to look better after I started working there....

It all makes sense now...